Stamford Connecticut History
In the last three and a half centuries Stamford, CT, has evolved from a puritan village to a manufacturing town. In the 18th century it became an emerging economic centre, and around the turn of the 20th century it attracted the attention of industrialists, bankers, lawyers, doctors, architects, engineers, businessmen, politicians, artists, musicians, writers, poets, actors, journalists, photographers, etc., all perfectly located in the heart of the industrial district of Stamford, just a few kilometres from the Connecticut River.
In the 1960s, Stamford attracted more commuters who traveled to Stamford every day than commuting to New York City for work. Yale Towne, its largest employer, moved about 300 jobs from Stamford to other locations and moved some of its offices from Stamford to New York City. The move was prompted by the rapidly rising tax burden in Stamford, said John Allen, the chief executive of Yale, who said, "We are in the midst of a major economic crisis in our city.
The Hoyt family, who were the original settlers of Stamford, could not document the cost of the land. Behind the scenes, however, the desire to save the space and the need for more affordable housing made it likely that communities in Stamford and Greenwich would submit a credible bid for the property if given the chance.
In the end, however, the city of Stamford and Greenwich each offered $1.5 million for the property.
It is a thoughtful permanent exhibition focusing on the founding and early days of Stamford, with an emphasis on the history of Stamford and its role in the development of the city.
In summary, Old Long Ridge Village was a viable settlement, a manufacturing and trading community, and a commercial center. Stamford became an industrial center that attracted immigrants from across the United States and other parts of the country. The architecture of Long First Village comprises the Greek Revival, Gothic Revival and Classical Revival styles. In summary, this district developed its importance not only by being home to many of Stamford's most prominent architects and architects, but also because the district contained a significant number of Greek Revival-style buildings that otherwise largely disappeared from the city.
The Yale Town Lock Manufacturing Company, built in 1869, was one of the first industrial companies in Stamford and offered a primary workplace. The early Irish were among the guest workers of that time and they were the first group of immigrants to Stamford. In 1860, the population at Stamford was 7,000, but the census showed that in 1870 28 adult men were born in Ireland.
The company now has offices in Stamford, New Haven, Hartford and New York City, as well as other locations. The old school in Low and Heywood was founded in 1865 by Mrs. CE Richardson and is located in downtown Stamford. King's School was also near downtown Stamford and had several houses before settling on Colonial Road in 1933.
Chief Ponus signed with the indigenous people a strip of land that stretched as far as the Mianus River in the west. Shortly afterwards Captain Turner sold the land for £33 and the main building was built. The land east of it was bought in 1864, with plans for a new school building on the east side of the river and a house on Colonial Road.
Turner and the New Haven colony signed a parchment, which is to be considered a document to Stamford, signed on July 1, 1640. The Stamford deed was signed by Captain William Turner, the first governor of the Connecticut colony, and his wife Elizabeth.
Other stories say that the city transferred the title to the Cummings "estate and the name remained, but not for long.
In 1893, the voters at Stamford and the Connecticut General Assembly finally agreed on a charter for a new entity: the City of Stamford. In that year, the Connecticut Colony Charter was passed and Stamford became a separate part of Connecticut.
In 1949, the city absorbed the surrounding communities and consolidated into what is now Stamford. Stamford was incorporated as a city by late East Coast standards and in 1949 absorbed the surrounding cities of New Haven, West Hartford, East Hartford and Stamford, Connecticut, becoming the cities of Chelsea, Greenwich, Stamford and West Haven. In addition to the Connecticut Colony Charter, parts of it were also run as an independent entity under the state of Connecticut and the United States.
But during the Depression, a recommendation of the plan was implemented: a major east-west highway to ease traffic on historic Boston Post Road and connect Stamford, Connecticut, to the Westchester County Parkway system. The proposed transaction would see the City of Stamford buy land at the New Haven - Stamford - West Hartford - Greenwich Parkway intersection and the City of Greenwich receive a grant to maintain a 1,000 hectare site in the East End of Stamford.